Saturday, October 24, 2009

Motorsports and how it made me a better photographer pt. 2



Every time I go to a motorsports event, I get approached by someone who sees my photos (I always bring photos taken the previous year to get signed or to give as gifts to the drivers and teams). They often want to know how I was able to take such clear photos, how I am able to capture the moment when the cars are driving by so fast. So for the benefit of those who are interested in this type of photography - here are some useful tips.

In no particular order but all equally important:

1. Patience - it can make or break your shot

2. Know your subject - know what you are shooting so you can anticipate

3. Know your equipment - knowing your camera and gear is so vital

4. Frame your shot - have a general idea of what you want the outcome to be

5. Practice, practice & more practice - make using your equipment second nature

6. Read motorsports mags - notice how pros shoot to get inspiration

7. Know your photo-editing software - learn how to 'touch-up' your good shots

8. Enjoy - if you don't enjoy your photos why are you doing this in the first place?

I think that you would agree that the above makes sense - its just a matter of putting it all together. Another hint that I should mention. Always be prepared. Over the next few posts I am going to touch on the above to explain what I mean and how does it apply to motorsports photography and how it will make you overall a better photographer in whatever else you shoot.

No comments:

Post a Comment