Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Nuit Blanche 2009



Oh what a night! Nuit Blanche is like photo candy for the avid photog amateur and/or professional alike. This being my first experience, one can say I was a Nuit Blanche virgin and wasn't sure what to expect. I heard rumblings as to what it might be like but nothing compared to the actual experience of roaming around downtown Toronto with 500,000 people.
This definitely will not be my last time going to Nuit Blanche. I really enjoyed the whole experience. One of the many highlights of my evening included having great friends accompany me on this art journey. I was asked not post to pictures of my friends and against my will, I won't - even though they are fun photos.

Well maybe just one picture. Oh I am sure I will hear about it!



Things that stood out for me included a 46 foot long silver rabbit balloon that was on display in the Eaton Centre. It was part of the Macy's Day celebration parade in New York and it drew a very large crowd. I took at least 50 photos and I am not too sure how to really work them in the background. This is where I see Photoshop CS4 coming to the rescue but here's a look at what a 46 foot silver rabbit looks like.



The next exhibit that really stood out for me had to do with an igloo dress and the performance artist wearing the dress. I was able to get some dramatic poses and shots. I really enjoyed the exhibit and its significance. However, on a purely photography perspective, it was a great opportunity to capture the performer's many facial expressions and movements.





With the Megawatt light display lighting up the city core with its four letter displays, Nathan Phillips Square was a focal point of the whole celebration of Nuit Blanche. The errie soundtrack that played in the background was fitting for the atmosphere. I truly enjoyed the evening on many different levels.



The financial district was our last stop. The atmosphere reminded me of a carnival, with rides illustrating the craziness and volatility of the financial markets of the past year. Apparently, the carnival was manned by financial professionals who had lost their jobs due to the economic downsizing that hit Toronto and other financial markets. It was a very interesting juxtaposition; the crazy amusement park rides and the stoic towers in the heart of Toronto's financial district.



The night came to an end for us at 5 a.m. However, the evening was still in full swing. As I drove home, my mind was energized with thoughts of that evenings' events. The anticipation of reviewing the nights photo shoot reminded me of how I feel on Christmas morning (just before I am about to open gifts).

Until next year….bonne nuit for Nuit Blanche 2009!

2 comments:

  1. what a night it was! your shots turned out great... even the one that you posted of us on the street. :)

    the final shot you took, which I totally think was the highlight, captured the essence of the art in photography! AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Patisha! I am really happy with how the shots turned out. Can't wait until next year - I hope that they will expand the event to just more than one night.
    Thanks for the great feedback on the photos.

    ReplyDelete